Sunday, March 31, 2013

Not about the Bunnies.






You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. Exodus 20:16

It’s very obvious that as Christians we are commanded not to lie, but we are also commanded to speak the truth, even when it is difficult or might be offensive. It is one thing to love your neighbors, not to covet, commit adultery, and not murder or steal, but those are all things that you would expect from a normal person, but to speak the truth regardless of the outcome? That requires faith.

I have written before about my struggle between trying to fit in and trying to glorify God, and have become even more acutely aware of the disservice I am doing to the people that I love the most by bending or softening the truth and reality of their need for Jesus. I want my family and friends to feel the love I feel from God and to have the comfort in knowing that life doesn't just end, yet instead I find myself shying away from questions that might lead to some of the most meaningful conversations.

A little over a year ago, I was drowning in anxiety, depression and self-centeredness, I felt like my life was spinning out of control. At the time I had made two friends in particular who were Christians, and instead of letting me wallow in self-pity, they started to me about the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Over the next few months, I asked them a lot of difficult questions regarding issues and circumstances that I didn't feel like I understood or agreed with, and they stood anchored in their faith and continued to shine light on the truth. I began to seek the Lord because I saw their steadfast faith in trusting in God and the truth of His Word and promises, and I know that the Lord placed them in my life to lead me to him.

When I think of how I handle situations with my own friends who are not believers, I can’t say that I have always stayed rooted in truth. I have often found myself nodding silently or biting my tongue only to kick myself later for wasting such a great opportunity to shine the light of Jesus into their lives. I become increasingly aware daily how desperately I need Jesus in my life and know that the best way to love my friends is by helping them see their need for a savior too. During Easter time, I can’t help but think about all of the years I wasted thinking that the celebration was egg hunts and bunnies. I knew that Jesus had died, but had no idea what that truly meant. For the second year this year, I am able to celebrate Jesus’s resurrection and appreciate His victory for those who trust in Him over sin and death. As I rejoice in my salvation, I am reminded of how imperative it is that I declare the Truth of the Gospel to those I love as the only eternal hope they have.
Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” 17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one's deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God; 24 for
“All flesh is like grass
and all its glory like the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
and the flower falls,
25 but the word of the Lord remains forever.”
And this word is the good news that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:13-25

No comments:

Post a Comment