Friday, July 27, 2012

Please Mr. Postman...


There is this song that was written in the '60's called Please Mr. Postman by the Marvelettes... I've never heard of them either, but this song has been stuck in my head all day as I keep checking outside to see if the mailman came. My friend Hunter and I once compared ourselves to dogs waiting to chase the postman. After 154 days of wonderful Ranger School, I can attest to the fact that I do indeed check the mail at least 3 times a day. Luckily I have not bitten or barked at any mailman... yet.



I'm having one of those weird days where my imagination is going crazy. I put a letter in the mailbox to Brendan so I put the little red flag up and have been creeping around my parents house looking out of windows to see if the flag is down yet. I actually spent a few minutes earlier imagining that I was in the Revolutionary War waiting to see a courier on a horse come down the street with mail from my long lost love... don't say anything I already know I'm having delusions.

I'm stressing out because today is my last day in Connecticut and since I leave to go back to Georgia tomorrow and have been worrying whether or not Brendan and I figured out the timing properly to ensure that his letters get to the right address. Minor problems magnified by my mind.

Most days, I try to just stay busy until it's after the time which the mailman would come in order to seem less crazy and to feel independent, but today time was standing still. To occupy myself, I went swimming with Abigail... my dog. She is actually pretty fast which is deceptive because she has short little legs.



News Flash: The mail came, I got my letter and we did it right! The rest of my letters will go to Columbus. Brendan seems to be doing well, he is tired and ready for this to be over as am I. Lord willing, he will be home in less than a month. I pray every day for the Lord to give him strength to persevere, and for Him to give me the right words to encourage him. One of the most challenging things about this is continuing to find words of encouragment and love. The first few months weren't too hard, but now I worry about being repetitive.


I was listening to a Christian radio station this morning as I was driving and came across a song I hadn't heard before called Everlasting God by Lincoln Brewster and at the end of the song I was brought to tears (surprise) by the sound of a little child reading Isaiah 40:28-31 which says:


The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
29 He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
30 Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
31 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:28-31 (ESV)

I am always amazed by how during this journey, God always picks me up and carries me in my moments of weakness. Suddenly there are comfort in tears instead of weakness. It's like a blanket of hope that comforts me and reminds me to put my faith in Him and not in these momentary hardships.

1 comment: