Monday, February 4, 2013

The First Artist

When my husband and I have conversations about when we feel closest to God, we have very different answers. My answer usually involves being around people and diving deep into His word. Brendan’s answer is always being in nature. At times, I haven’t understood that, I have had trouble seeing nature as a way to connect with God because I am forgetful. I forget that everything on Earth was created by God.

One thing I have always loved, and admired was artwork. Personally, I am not very artistic, so I am always in awe of people who can paint. Today, Brendan sent lilies which are my favorite flowers, and for the first time, I sat down and examined the lilies the same way I would examine a piece of art. As I sat staring at them, I began to think about how many times I had admired a painting of nature, but how little I actually stand in awe of the God who created all of the earth. Often I find myself searching for God and reaching for him, forgetting that his goodness and glory is surrounding me. From the air I breathe, to the food I eat, to the beauty of the universe, it is because of the glory of God.  

Do you not know? Do you not hear?
Has it not been told you from the beginning?
Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth?
It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;
who brings princes to nothing,
and makes the rulers of the earth as emptiness.
Scarcely are they planted, scarcely sown,
scarcely has their stem taken root in the earth,
when he blows on them, and they wither,
and the tempest carries them off like stubble.
To whom then will you compare me,
that I should be like him? says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high and see:
who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,
calling them all by name,
by the greatness of his might,
and because he is strong in power
not one is missing.
Why do you say, O Jacob,
and speak, O Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord,
and my right is disregarded by my God”?
Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint,
and to him who has no might he increases strength.
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
they shall walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40: 21-31

With the amount of knowledge we have been given of God, our view of Him is still very limited. God encompasses all aspects of life. I often try to find God where I want Him to be found, not remembering that He is everywhere. I struggle to connect the God who became man to die the death I should have died to give me eternal life as the same God that makes it so wonderful to walk outside on a spring morning. I know He is everything, yet I forget He is everything at the same time; and every time I am reminded by His might and strength, I am encouraged and renewed in my faith of His power.

No comments:

Post a Comment